Sixteenth Tabernacle (the 16th tabernacle of Church of God and Saints of Christ that was chartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia) began to take form in the early 1920’s. For nearly 100 years, it has been distinguished for its God centered focus, loving spirit, concern for the community, and commitment to developing youth for the future.
Members worshipped at various locations in Old Town Alexandria- the 900 block of North Alfred Street, the 500 block of Gibbon Street, the 400 block of South Columbus Street, and the 500 block of South Pitt Street. The tabernacle’s spirit thrived, including when services were held in the homes of members while a suitable location was sought. The current location at 634 North Patrick Street – “the little white church on the corner” of Patrick and Wythe Streets – was purchased in the 1970’s with the contributions and support of just a few faithful members.
The mantle of leadership has been passed through the following Local Pastors who have been called from labor to reward: Elder Isaac Johnson, Elder (Bishop) Robert N. Butler, Elder William H. Edwards, Elder (Evangelist at Large) Benjamin H. Watkins, Elder Ambrose Young, Elder William R. Johnson, and Elder Thomas B. Stephenson Sr. Since 1993, Evangelist at Large James Parker has led the congregation in service to God and our fellowman.
With an immense commitment to God centered worship, Sixteenth Tabernacle has a passion to produce positive and sustained results disproportionate to its size. The Congregation’s community impact is leveraged through partnerships with groups such as ALIVE! (ALexandrians InVolved Ecumenically), Alexandria’s Black History Museum, Carpenter’s Shelter, Charles Houston Recreation Center, Hunger Free Alexandria, Israel Temple #138 of the Elks, and SOHO (Space Of Her Own).